Faculty Senate Home
Profile Request Form
Name: Maria Babiuc
Title: Assistant Professor
Expert: Special/General Relativity, Black Holes, Numerical Simulations
| ||1. M. C. Babiuc: “Towards improved accuracy of gravitational waves extraction”, Class. Quant. Grav. 26:114003 (2009), 12pp.|
2. M. C. Babiuc, N. T. Bishop, B. Szilagyi, J. Winicour: “Strategies for the characteristic extraction of gravitational waveform”; Phys. Rev.D79:084011 (2009), 26pp.
3. M. C. Babiuc, S. Husa, I. Hinder, C. Lechner, E. Schnetter, B. Szilagyi, Y. Zlochower, N. Dorband, D. Pollney, J. Winicour: “Implementation of standard testbeds for numerical relativity”; Class. Quant. Grav. 25:125012 (2008), 32pp.
4. M. C. Babiuc, H.-O. Kreiss, J. Winicour: “Constraint-preserving Sommerfeld conditions for the harmonic Einstein equations”; Phys. Rev.D75:044002 (2007), 16pp.
1. M. C. Babiuc: “Towards Improved Accuracy of the Gravitational Waves Extraction”, Numerical Relativity and Data Analysis (NRDA) 2008 International Conference, Aug. 11-14, 2008 Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
2. M. C. Babiuc: “Characteristic-Cauchy code patching for a binary-black hole evolution”, 2009 APS April Meeting, May 2-5, 2009, Denver, Colorado
3. M. C. Babiuc: “Steps towards a nonlinear Cauchy-characteristic code patching”, Multi-Messenger Relativistic Astrophysics Inaugural Conference of the Center for Relativistic Astrophysics (CRA) May 19-21, 2009, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, Georgia
4. M. C. Babiuc: “Cauchy-characteristic patching with improved accuracy”, The 12th Eastern Gravity Meeting, June 15-16, 2009, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York
Professional/Community Based Service:
1. Organized "Saturday Experiments in Physics", as outreach to South Point High School students, March 6th, 2010, Marshall University, Huntington, WV.
2. Sponsored Internship for St. Joseph Central Catholic H.S. Senior, February 22-March 5, 2010
3. Participated as judge in St. Joseph High School Science Fair (March 11, 2008), and Fairland High School Science Fair (Jan. 29, 2010).
4. Participate in "Expand Your Horizon" Workshop, as outreach to WV Middle School students, April 10th, 2010, Marshall University, Huntington, WV
Grants and Awards
1. M. C. Babiuc (PI): “Computation of Gravitational Waveform at Infinity Using Characteristic Extraction”, NASA WV EPSCoR Research Seed Grant, July 2008 – June 2009, Amount: $17,296.00
2. M. C. Babiuc (PI), Jeffrey Winicour (co – PI): “Accurate Computation of Gravitational Waveforms at Infinity”, TeraGrid Supercomputer Award Nr. PHY080006, Type: DAC-TG Nov. 2007 – Dec. 2008, 10,000 CPU hours
3. M.C. Babiuc: “Cauchy-Characteristic Extraction of Gravitational Waves from Binary Black Hole Merger”, TeraGrid Supercomputer Award, Nr. PHY090008, Type: DAC-TG Dec. 2008 – May 2010), 30,000 CPU hours
Supporting Undergraduate Research:
1. Joshua R. Hafer (student), M. Babiuc (advisor): “Numerical Modeling of Gravitational Waveforms” (internal grant), Nov 2008, “Mary H. Hodges” Undergraduate Research Grant, Marshall University, Huntington, WV, Amount: $500.
2. Chad Lott (student), M. Babiuc (advisor): “Mathematics of General Relativity” (internal grant), Research Scholar Award, Nov. 16, 2009, Marshall University, Huntington, WV, Amount: $134.
3. Joshua Hafer (student), M. Babiuc (advisor): “Simulations of an Exact Einstein Solution on Supercomputer” (poster presentation), Science, Technology and Research (STaR) Symposium, April 14-15, 2009, Charleston, WV.
4. Joshua Hafer (student), Paul Stokes (student), M. Babiuc (advisor): “Numerical Relativity and Scalar Gravitational Waveform Modeling” (poster presentation), Sixth Annual Undergraduate Research Day at the Capitol”, March 12, 2009, Charleston, WV.
Return to Search Page