Parking Violations & Fines
These regulations are internal administrative regulations of the University and do not replace state laws or municipal ordinances.
- No valid permit displayed – required in all lots.
- Improper display of permit – only current, valid permits may be displayed; permit must be hung from rear view mirror post.
- Parking in posted or marked areas – no parking zones, fire lane, yellow curbs, blocking traffic, roadway or another vehicle, loading/unloading zones, exceeding posted time limits.
- Expired meter – any vehicle parking at a meter must pay the meter. An MU parking permit does not excuse you from paying the meter. Meters are enforced Monday through Thursday 7AM to 7:00PM and Friday 7AM to 4:00PM.
- Line straddling – any vehicle parking across the lines in designated spaces taking up more than one parking space. Double parked.
- Parking in an area other than the area authorized by the permit displayed – (i.e. E permit in S or B designated parking areas)
- Speeding and unsafe driving on the University property.
- Displaying an altered permit.
- Displaying a fraudulently obtained permit. This permit has been reported stolen or lost.
- Using an old citation from another day or location in an attempt not to receive another.
- Parking in a reserved space without proper permit displayed.
- Parking in a disabled space without proper disabled permit, MU permit or disabled license plate.
Fines for parking violations are charged to the permit holder. If there is no permit, fines will be charged to the person that the vehicle is registered to or to a student or employee who is a family member of the vehicle’s owner.
A citation(ticket) will be issued for violations once every calendar day. The exception to this rule are timed parking (i.e. meters) where a citation may be issued more than once within a time restriction.
PARKING VIOLATIONS ENFORCED 24 HOURS
|No Parking Zone||$10.00|
|Blocking traffic, roadway, or parked vehicles||$10.00|
|Parked over line||$10.00|
|Limited Time zone||$10.00|
|On sidewalk, crosswalk, grass, barricaded areas, building entrances and exits||$10.00|
PARKING VIOLATIONS ENFORCED 7:00AM – 7:00PM
|Lot parking without permit||$10.00|
|Parking out of assigned area||$10.00|
|Improper display of permit||$10.00|
NOTE: You must make your payment or appeal within 10 (ten) business days.
As a last resort, a vehicle will be towed with warning at the violator’s expense if:
- A vehicle has 3 or more outstanding tickets without a response. Parking fines, towing and storage charges will be paid before an impounded vehicle is released.
- An unauthorized vehicle is parked in a restricted lot.
- A vehicle is abandoned/mechanical problems on campus for 5 days or more.
A vehicle will be towed without warning at the violator’s expense if:
- A vehicle is blocking traffic and causing unsafe conditions for traffic flow.
- A vehicle has a stolen permit displayed.
- A vehicle displaying an altered permit.
- A vehicle that has received a tow warning and has not responded.
- A vehicle is parked on campus when the permit has been revoked.
The University reserves the right to immobilize, tow or relocate any vehicle parked in violation of these regulations at the owner’s expense. The University generally uses Thompson‘s Towing, for towing services. Their facility is located very close and is in walking distance.
Address: 1941 7th Avenue and 20th Street,
Phone: (304) 523-8164.