Apply to L.E.A.P.
Marshall University is authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to enroll non-immigrant visa students with F-1 or J-1 status.
International applicants must submit ALL of the following documents to be considered for admission:
If student is applying for:
Spring Semester: October 15
Summer semester: March 15
Fall semester: June 15
Complete the ON-LINE APPLICATION and send the following items by mail or fax:
1. $100.00 Application Fee (non-refundable) – make check or money order made payable to Marshall University. Please note that this is a non-refundable fee and cannot be refunded in the event the student is not accepted or does not get a student visa. To be accepted, all checks must have a 9-digit routing number. DO NOT SEND CASH.
You can also pay the $100 fee with a credit card using our ONLINE SECURE PAYMENT FORM. A 2.5% processing fee, per transaction, will be required to make payment by credit card. Visa is not accepted. Only MasterCard, Discover and American Express credits cards are accepted.
2. Copies of Official Transcripts – Transcripts of ALL secondary school, college or university academic credits and grades (both in the original language and English).
3. Complete the Affidavit of Support Form (if you need to obtain an F-1 visa) showing that you or your sponsor have finances to support your study and living costs for one academic year (9 months). Download the Affidavit of Financial Support here. Please click here to see the estimated cost of attendance. Please remember that in some cases, a 50% deposit will be required in order to issue the I-20 form. Proof of financial support may be demonstrated in several ways:
a. An affidavit of financial support from a personal sponsor (parent, relative, friend) that has been certified by a U.S. bank or financial institution.
b. A scholarship agency (government, corporation, etc.) stating the availability of funds and the intention to support your educational and living expenses for the entire duration of study at Marshall University.
c. Personal funds, provided you submit documentary evidence of a bank statement from a U.S. bank or financial institution or it affiliate in U.S. dollars (USD). A statement from your employer certifying that you have been granted study leave and salary support arrangements may also be acceptable.
4. Fax items to: 304-696-6353. Mail items to: L.E.A.P. Intensive English Program, Marshall University, One John Marshall Drive., Huntington, West Virginia 25755, U.S.A.
5. If you would like to apply for undergraduate and/or graduate study at Marshall University at the same time you apply to the L.E.A.P. Program, visit the Center for International Programs website for more information about applying to Marshall University for degree study.
You may apply for undergraduate and/or graduate study AFTER you arrive to study in the L.E.A.P. Program. The Center for International Programs will provide you with academic advising and assist you with your undergraduate and/or graduate application while you are a student in the L.E.A.P. Program.
As Marshall University conditionally admits academically acceptable students without English proficiency, we recommend that university-bound English as a second language (ESL) students apply to a degree program at the same time they apply to the L.E.A.P. Program. Students applying for conditional admittance to Marshall University need only submit the undergraduate or graduate application in addition to the above documentation and fees. Although scholastic test results (e.g. SAT, ACT, GRE, etc.) can usually be submitted after being admitted, in some cases, students may not be conditionally admitted without certain credentials, such as a GMAT score for graduate study in the College of Business. Students can postpone payment of the undergraduate or graduate application fee until after they arrive.
6. When we receive all parts of your application, we will send you an official acceptance letter to study at L.E.A.P. and an I-20 form. The I-20 form is used to apply for a student visa (F-1) at an American embassy or consulate. We will also send you an arrival survey and housing application. We will arrange airport pickup at the Tri-State Airport in Huntington or Charleston, West Virginia and assist you with your housing and arrival needs.
7. If you need an F-1 student visa to enter the U.S., you will have to pay the $100.00 SEVIS Fee AFTER you are issued a Form I-20 with your acceptance and BEFORE you apply for your visa. Visit the ICE website to learn how to pay the fee yourself.
8. The tuition balance must be paid in full before you are permitted to take classes.