'Because of You' Nomination Form
The past, present and future of the mining industry depends upon thousands of individuals in key roles who contribute significantly to each ton of coal produced – its “enterprise ecosystem”. It is because of them AND YOU that the mining industry is the success it is today. On October 4, 2012, we will celebrate the contributions that have been made, are being made and will be made to West Virginia’s mining enterprise ecosystem.
Although such an ecosystem is made up of hundreds of disciplines, a small subset of the ecosystem’s disciplines has been identified and nominations for ‘Because of You’ awards are requested for outstanding individuals or groups that have made and/or are making significant contributions in the following area of the mining enterprise ecosystem.
Deadline to submit nominations: July 1, 2012
Nominations may be mailed, faxed or e-mailed by following the instrustions in the Request for Nominations PDF form or submitted online using the form below.
Categories for Nomination
(categories eight and nine are left out on purpose)
- Attorney – A legal professional who has guided mining projects through the regulatory, compliance, dispute resolution and other matters requiring legal expertise.
- Engineer (In-house) – An engineering professional who has been involved in all aspects of a mining project-from the project’s concept through design, permitting, development, implementation, and its retirement.
- Engineer (Consulting) – An engineering professional who provides services to mining projects related to permitting, specialized design, compliance, and completion.
- Community Re-Investment – An individual, company, or group that has been instrumental in the investment, procurement, development, and realization of projects and associated infrastructure in the coalfield communities and state.
- Community Involvement – An individual or group that has exhibited leadership and commitment to community outreach, education, involvement, and improvement.
- Safety Professional – An individual or small group that has made significant contributions to mine safety, safety innovations, and implementation of safe mining practices.
- Equipment Innovation/Supplier/Manufacturer – An individual or small group that has made significant contributions to overall mine productivity, compliance, and safety. Separate awards for each of the following:
- Surface mines
- Environmental Stewardship
- Environmental Professional –An individual or small group that has made significant contributions to the protection and stewardship of the environment through innovation and management practices.
- Coal marketing Professional – An individual or small group that has provided leadership and innovation in the marketing of West Virginia coal through the expansion of the market domestically, internationally and the development of new uses for the product.
- Human Resources Professional – An individual or small group that has provided leadership and innovation in the recruitment and retention of members of the ecosystem, workplace/employee relations, wellness programs and benefits, and community involvement.
- Management Professional – An individual or small group that has exemplified innovation and leadership in a mining project’s on-site management, production, safety, environmental stewardship, transportation, maintenance, and community involvement.
- Women In Mining –An individual or small group that shows leadership in the expansion of the role of women in the coal industry.
- Educator of the Year – An individual educator (at any level) who has provided innovation and leadership in the development of curriculum and knowledge of the mining industry and its relationship with coal communities and the state.
- Coal Miner of the Year – An individual who has made a significant and lasting contribution to the industry and its future: Underground or surface mining.